Your iPhone XR is frozen and won’t turn off or reset. This may lead to confusion since you don’t know what to do.
You have tried swiping the screen and pressing the side button but it neither responds nor unfreezes your iPhone. This is definitely frustrating.
If this is what you are going through, you should not worry because this article will help you fix an unresponsive iPhone XR in several ways.
1. Hard reset
One of the main and common ways is to force restart an iPhone XR. To restart your device, you should:
- Press and the Volume Up and Down button on the left side of your phone and immediately release them.
- Press and hold down the side button on the right side of the phone.
- Release the side button when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Read Also: iTunes keeps freezing on PC? What to do
2. Backup your iPhone
What happens when the force restart doesn’t work on iPhone XR? You can backup your iPhone especially iTunes and any other important multimedia in your phone.
iTunes recognizes your iPhone even in its frozen state. Here’s how you back up iTunes:
- Using a lightning cable, connect your iPhone to a computer that has iTunes.
- Launch iTunes on the computer and click on the iPhone icon that is on the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click on the ‘Back Up Now’ option below ‘Manually Back Up’ and ‘Restore’.
- A progress bar will appear on the screen with the title ‘Backing Up iPhone’ on top of iTunes.
In most cases, your iPhone will start working normally during the backup process.
3. Delete the rogue app
Sometimes the reason behind your iPhone freezing is a problematic app. You can delete the app by doing the following:
- Lightly press and hold the app icon that you wish to delete.
- Tap on the X button that appears in the upper left corner of the app icon.
- Tap on ‘Delete’ to uninstall the app permanently.
Read Also: How to free up some space on your iPhone
4. Factory resetting
If all the above methods do not unfreeze your iPhone, your last resort may be to reset all settings. This means that your iPhone XR will fall back to factory default.
Heres’s how you do it:
- Tap on the Settings app with the gear icon
- Select General option on the Settings menu.
- Tap on the ‘Reset’ option.
- Tap on Reset All Settings. This option will reset every setting and app data on your iPhone. Enter your password and the phone reset will start.
Frozen iPhone? Solved!
Your iPhone may have frozen mainly because it contains a rogue app. The best and easy ways to restart your iPhone XR when it’s frozen is by hard resetting your iPhone, deleting the bad app, factory resetting your iPhone, or backing up your iPhone.
If one of the methods does not work, you can choose an alternative to solve your freezing screen. Once your iPhone has been fixed, it will behave normally and you will not have to worry about your iPhone XR freezing anymore.