How to open a WMF file on Mac
WMF (Windows MetaFile) is a file extension for a graphics file used in Microsoft windows. Being a proprietary windows graphic format, it has a series of drawing operations which include commands for drawing lines, rectangles, and circles too. It is mainly used for vector images. However, it can also include raster graphics.
The file can be opened easily using Microsoft programs like Microsoft Word, power point, publisher, et al. Now, for those who want to open WMF files on Mac, and don’t have the programs listed above, here are some of the best alternatives.
Using a WMF converter and viewer application
With a Mac WMF converter you can easily view and convert WMF files on Mac. The various conversion vector and raster formats include PDF (vector), JPG, EPS, GIF, PDS, TIF, PNG, PICT, SGI, and BMG.
You have the option of converting one image at a time, or all of them at once. The resolution can also be changed to either one of the four available pre-sets – 72, 150, 300, and 600 dpi.
Read Also: How to open an Opus file on your iPhone
Pros of using WMF converter
- Viewing WMF files in different formats
- Quick to rotate and convert WMF files
- Allows batch conversion of folders with WMF files
- You can convert to different resolutions
- Ability to view the files at varying zoom amounts
- Displays WMF file information
- You can customize the size of the image preview
- Option to replace colours in vector based WMF files
- You can process multiple WMF files at a go
- There aren’t many viewing features
- No preference
- You can only convert to only four different resolutions
While converting the files, you could opt to change the default destination format and the default location of the converted files.
The following programs also support WMF file format and can also open a WMF file on Mac.
- Inkscape: Can import and export WMF file flawlessly without any alterations. However, it’s recommended that you use the ‘save copy’ function when exporting to a different file format. Save the original as ‘Inkscape SVG’ so that you don’t lose any data or changes you might have made while editing.
- Adobe Illustrator CS5: Being an advanced vector graphics editor, Adobe Illustrator can easily open WMF file types
- IMSI TurboCAD Deluxe: This is a CAD application for drafting and modelling 2D and 3D designs. It supports a wide range of popular design file formats including Windows MetaFile.
Depending on your preferred application, you could pick it as your default WMF file viewer to save time when opening similar files in future.
This can change at any time by right-clicking on the WMF file or pressing Command-I and pick the ‘open with’ arrow. Choose from the list of the available programs and you are good to go.
These programs and procedures should help you solve how to open WMF file on mac. It’s a simple and straightforward exercise, and whichever option you pick, you can be sure your files will be safe.
Read Also: How to select multiple files on a Mac