iTunes Backup Password Incorrect Error? How to Fix
When you buy a new iPhone, the norm is to use your iPhone backup to set up your new phone. This saves you a lot of time and effort as restoring your iPhone from the backup is almost instantaneous. In addition, you get to use your iPhone almost immediately.
What if you are trying to log into iTunes to set up your iPhone from your old backup but when you enter your password, you get a prompt that “iTunes could not restore the iPhone backup because the password was incorrect?”
The incorrect apple id or password can be quite frustrating, but don’t worry since you can solve these problems by following the practical solutions below:
Working solutions for wrong iTunes backup password error
When you keep getting the error message that your iTunes restore backup password is incorrect when setting up your new iPhone, there are a few things that you can do to deal with this issue and they include;
Try your common passwords
Before you try anything complex, the first thing that you should do to restore your iPhone when your iTunes backup password is incorrect is to try the passwords that you use often.
Most people use a similar password for most of their accounts and online portals and if you are one of them, there is a high chance that the password that you use for iTunes backup is the same for your other accounts.
Try entering your user account password and the password for your email accounts to unlock the iTunes backup. If these passwords could not restore your iPhone, try special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries as your iTunes password.
Retrieve the password from Keychain
Keychain stores all your logins and if you had saved your iTunes backup password here, you will be able to retrieve it and set up your iPhone. To retrieve your password from Keychain, you will have to;
- Launch Keychain Access from the Utilities section of your iPhone.
- From Keychain Access, search for your old iPhone backup by keying in the term “iPhone” in the search window.
- Double click the iPhone backup item from the search results and check the “show password” box.
- Retrieve the password for your iTunes backup from the pop up window.
Restore the backup from iCloud
You can also turn to iCloud to restore your phone from your old backup when you enter the wrong password for your iPhone and here is how to do that;
- From your iPhone, go to the settings section and find iCloud.
- From iCloud, go to Storage and click on “Manage Storage”. You will find your iPhone backup from the list.
- Erase your iPhone contents and you can do this by going to General Settings and clicking reset.
- Sign into your iCloud account and restore your iPhone from your old backup.
You will not be able to access your iTunes backup with the iTunes incorrect password and this article will help deal with the problem of your iTunes backup password is incorrect.