If your iPod Nano is keeps freezing or is experiencing other software glitches, a factory rest will return it to normal functioning. Here you will learn how to restore your iPod both using iTunes and without iTunes.
Before proceeding with a factory reset, remember that this procedure will delete your music, data, and settings from the iPod Nano. It will restore your iPad to a pristine condition that it was prior to storing your music. Therefore, before doing a factory reset, ensure your data is backed up. The quickest way would be to connect your iPod to iTunes and sync your info and music.
How to Restore an iPod Nano To Factory Settings
Although the procedure varies depending the iPod Nano generation, it will always be a variation of the following procedures:
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button and home button together
- Wait until the apple logo appears
- Release the buttons
- Once done with the reset, hook up the iPod Nano to iTunes and run the initial configurations you would normally do to a new Nano.
Below is a step by step guide to factor reset your iPod Nano depending on its generation.
How to Factory Restore 7th Generation iPod Nano
To factory reset a 7th gen iPod Nano:
- Open iTunes on your PC or Mac and connect your iPod to the computer
- Select your iPod from the left menu
- Back up any information you need then click the restore button
- Click restore to confirm on the pop up that appears
- Wait for iTunes to restore your iPod and give it a name of your choice after the factory reset is complete.
How to Factory Reset 6th Generation iPod Nano
Hold both the sleep/wake and volume button until you see the Apple logo. Wait for the iPod to restart. Remember that your iPod cannot restart on a low charge. Therefore, make sure to connect it to a power source if the restore doesn’t work because of a low charge.
How to Reset 1st-5th Generation iPod Nano
Before trying to reset the iPod Nanos in this range, you must first ensure that your iPod isn’t locked. A locked Nano has its buttons disabled meaning that you won’t have control over the device when you attempt the reset.
To unlock the iPod Nano, you have to ensure that the hold button isn’t engaged. This is a tiny toggle switch at the top of the iPod Nano that locks all buttons. The iPod Nano is locked (hold button is on) if you see a small orange area near the switch and a lock icon on the screen
If it is locked, slide the hold switch to OFF position to disengage the lock. If it is unlocked, lock and unlock it just to be sure by toggling the hold switch ON then OFF. Once unlocked, do the following to factory reset
- Slide the hold switch to the ON position. An orange color flickers once to show it is on
- Long press the menu button on the click wheel and center button simultaneously and wait until the screen goes dark and an Apple logo appears.
- Wait for the restart to complete and then hook your iPod back to your computer to proceed with the normal configurations.
How to reset an iPod to factory settings without iTunes
To factory restore your iPod Nano without iTunes, do the following:
- Ensure your iPod Nano is charged. If it is, unlock it by flipping the hold switch at the top of the device to reveal a white strip
- On the selector wheel, hold the Nano menu option and press for about 6 seconds. An Apple logo should appear.
- Wait for your iPod Nano to restart and then proceed to listen to your favorite tunes
You’ve now managed to factory reset an iPod Nano. The procedures above are simple and easy to follow. If you’ve missed a step or couldn’t restore the iPad, let me know.