Apple’s GarageBand software is one of the best of it’s kind. It enables users to easily create and record their music. The software comes with more plugins you can use for your projects. Furthermore, it also has built-in instruments and audio effects.
Even better, you have the option to add third party plugins to GarageBand and use them. The plugins can help you open up new sonic ideas. In this article, we will show you how to use such plugins. We will also identify some of the best GarageBand plugins you can use for vocals.
How to add plugins to GarageBand
Some plugins include an installer while others don’t. If you download those with an installer, the installation will be done automatically. In case you get one without an installer, you will have to add it to GarageBand them manually.
Below is how to do it:
- Identify the Plugin by its component suffix.
- Place the Plugin in the support folder, i.e., Macintosh HD\Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\Components
- Launch GarageBand
- If your iOS version prevents you from installing the plugins;
- Hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard then simultaneously click on the installer
- Select Open from the pop-up menu.
Read Also: How to convert GarageBand to MP3 on iPhone
Accessing plugins in GarageBand
After adding the plugins in GarageBand, you may now want to access them. Here is how to:
- Create a software instrument track.
- Go to the Track Info Column (in right-hand side).
- Click on Edit
- You will get the slots for the installed plugins among other options.
GarageBand plugins for vocals
Here are the best plugins you should use on GarageBand for vocals:
1. Abletunes Knobs
Abletunes Knobs is a package includes Drive, Space, and Attack. Each of them is displayed on the screen and with one large knob to control them.
- Drive is a stereo distortion effect that. It goes from slight grit up to full-on square-edged growl.
- Attack is a stereo transient shaper which is solely applied to the attack sections of a waveform. It is best for drum tracks and the guitar solos that need extra bite.
- Space is a mid-sized room reverb effect. It is the one you use to add a bit of depth and atmosphere.
Compressors are also essential tools in music production. GarageBand already comes with decent options. But, a third-party can take your project a little further. OTT by Xfer Records works well here.
This multi-band compressor has four dial-controls for Time, Depth, In Gain, and Out Gain. These features enable you to create dubstep and electro sounds with ease.
3. iZotope Vocal Doubler
Vocals can make or break your track. So, it is essential that you have the richest and coolest tones if you want your song to really shine. Using the iZotope Vocal Doubler is one way to do this. It creates a doubling effect.
The effect can be controlled by a cursor. Dragging it up or down alters the stereo separation, while left to right is for added variation in the singing. It will add depth even to your dullest vocals.
MFreeEffectsBundle will help you expand the capabilities of GarageBand. It is a collection of 26 different effects including the AutoPan for creating wide sonic landscapes, AutoPitch for correcting wayward singers alongside a variety of other mixing tools and effects.
Though there are many of these features in GarageBand, this plugin comes with so many new variants. Furthermore, there is a paid upgrade to the bundle that increases the amount of granular control.
5. Voxengo OldSkoolVerb
Voxengo OldSkoolVerb is great a great take on a classic stereo reverb. It is also the perfect plugin when it comes to polishing your piano, vocals, or synth pads.
6. Blue Cat’s Freeware Plug-ins Pack II
This bundle by Blue Cat Audio has a fantastic Chorus effect, spectrum,flanger, EQ, analyser, phaser, and a Gain suite. It enables you to automate the volume of your tracks in real time, among other things.
7. Crystal Soft Synth
Crystal Soft Synth is a ridiculously powerful semi-modular synth with more than 90 different parameters which can be modulated. This makes it easy for you to create your own unique sounds.
Those are some of the best plugins you can use for vocals in GarageBand. Choose one that you deem fit. If you encounter issues with any of them or if you have any questions, let us know in the comments section.
Read Also: Best apps like GarageBand for making music