Airpods keep disconnecting from Mac! How to fix
AirPods are Bluetooth audio devices that serve as either headphones or headsets on Apple devices. While they received some skepticism during their early days, these devices have become a critical part of the Apple ecosystem.
However, your Apple AirPods may keep disconnecting from your Mac sometimes. This is quite annoying especially when you are at something, like listening to music. Luckily we have prepared a guide to help you fix the problem.
What causes AirPods to disconnect from your Mac?
The problem occurs when:
- You have connected too many devices via Bluetooth
- Your AirPods are out of charge
- Bluetooth settings are not configured correctly
- There are technical issues with the AirPods.
What to do when AirPods keep disconnecting from Mac
Now, to fix the problem, you should try the fixes below. Try one after the other until the problem is fixed.
1. Recharge your AirPods
When your Airpods have low power or out of charge, it will disconnect from your device. If so, recharging it will fix the issue. To do so:
- Place your AirPods inside the charging case.
- Plug in the charging cable.
- If your AirPods have enough power and it still disconnects, try the next fix.
Read Also: One AirPod stopped working? Here’s why
2. Reconfigure your Bluetooth settings
Sometimes you may be trying to use AirPods but Bluetooth is off on your device. In this case you should turn Bluetooth on. To do so:
- Open the lid with your AirPods inside the case.
- Go to settings on your Mac
- Click on the Bluetooth icon
- Connect your AirPods
3. Reset your Airpods
Technical issues with your AirPods can also cause the problem. This is well fixed by resetting the AirPods. Here’s how to do it:
- Put your AirPods into their case
- Shut the lid then wait for about 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the AirPods to your device and test if the problem persists.
4. Select AirPods as the primary Audio Device.
You can also solve the problem by selecting your Airpods as the primary audio device. To do so:
- Open up one of your music playing apps on your device
- Select the AirPlay
- Select your AirPods from the list of audio options.
5. Using just one of your AirPods first
You can also try using one AirPod rather than both of them.To do that:
- Ensure your AirPods case is open
- Go to your Settings
- Click on Bluetooth
- Click on the little icon next to your AirPods
- Select Microphone from the list of options.
- Change the setting to either Always Left AirPod or Always Right AirPod.
6. Disable the Automatic Ear Detection setting
There is a setting that enables your AirPods to detect when they’re in your ears automatically. However, they may mess up on their own leading to the disconnection problem. To fix, disable the ear detection setting.
To do it:
- Go Settings
- Click on Bluetooth.
- Click on the little icon beside your AirPods
- Switch off the Automatic Ear Detection
7. Unpair other devices
Some people do connect too many devices via Bluetooth. This can might confuse your AirPods on which device to pair with, leading to the disconnection error. To fix, unpair them all and connect to your Mac only.
Those are the ways to fix the AirPods disconnecting from your Mac isssue. I hope one works for you. Please let us know if you have any question about the same.